Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What's Cooking Wednesday!

Since it is rainy and a bit chilly here in SC I have decided that tonight for dinner I am making French Onion Soup and Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli. I have never made neither one of these but I love finding NEW recipes and trying them out. One of my favorite websites (besides the blog world) is The Food Network! If I cannot come up with an idea for dinner, all I have to do is go on there and Wah-La.... Countless recipes for my meal time pleasure. One of my favorite cooks is Giada DeLaurentiis. If you know me, you know I LOVE Italian and Giada sure does know how to cook it. Andy and I even registered for her cookware at Target for our wedding! Which, by the way, is awesome! A couple other favorite cooks of mine are: Ina Garten, The Neeley's, and Paula Deen. YES, I know Paula is going to cause all of us to have heart attacks one day with all that butter, but her recipes come out tasting amazing and I'm from the south so fried Chicken and eating butter like it is a banana, is the norm, right???

Anyways, here are the two recipes I am cooking for dinner: yes I know the first one has alcohol but heck, us southerners like that too :)

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 pounds yellow onions, halved, and sliced 1/4-inch thick (8 cups)
  • 1/4 pound unsalted butter
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 cup medium-dry sherry
  • 1/2 cup brandy or Cognac
  • 1 1/2 cups good dry white wine
  • 4 cups beef stock
  • 4 cups veal stock
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
  • Freshly grated Parmesan

Directions

In a large stockpot on medium-high heat, saute the onions with the butter and bay leaf for 20 minutes, until the onions turn a rich golden brown color. Deglaze the pan with the sherry and brandy and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add the white wine and simmer uncovered for 15 more minutes.
Add the beef and veal stocks plus salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf, taste for salt and pepper, and serve hot with grated Parmesan
 


Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli - By Ina Garten 

Ingredients

  • 4 to 5 pounds broccoli
  • 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
  • Good olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
  • 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves (about 12 leaves)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Cut the broccoli florets from the thick stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk attached to the florets, discarding the rest of the stalks. Cut the larger pieces through the base of the head with a small knife, pulling the florets apart. You should have about 8 cups of florets. Place the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle with 5 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, pine nuts, Parmesan, and basil. Serve hot.



What are you having for dinner? I will let ya'll know if it turns out to be a keeper or not. Hope everyone is having a great Wednesday!


8 comments:

Carolina On My Mind said...

I have no idea what I'm having for dinenr - my fiance asked me earlier so I better get to thinking! Thanks for posting these, I've been looking for soup recipes and these sound delicious! I'm having a giveaway, go check it out and enter to win lots of goodies! :)

Mandy@OrangeAutumn said...

French onion soup is amazing, it's one of my faves!! Thanks for the recipe!

lucia m said...

looks super yummy!

www.aroundlucia.com
www.aroundlucia.com
www.aroundlucia.com

Unknown said...

We tried out a new recipe for dinner too from the December All you magazine! Sun-dried tomato and spinach stroganoff and it was delish! I hope yours turns out great as well!

Anonymous said...

Sounds so yummy!! Can I come round for dinner? :) xo
www.eatenjoylive.blogspot.com

ms.composure said...

oh yes def gonna have to try the french onion soup!!

http://infinitelifefintess.com

http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

Monique said...

I looooove French Onion Soup. My recipe is quite a bit simpler (and a lot less buttery) than Ina's. Think this chilly weather means a night of soup is in store soon.

KK said...

Yum, that soup sounds amazing! I am saving that recipe! lovely blog!!! I am following you now!
x
Kristina